Tuesday, November 15, 2005

"When I Get You Alone" by Thicke

Good song, the guy who sings it is Robin Thicke, son of Growing Pains TV dad Alan Thicke. Bow to the Queen of Random Trivia.

Cisco was, uh, okay. The day wasn't as enjoyable as the Ernst & Young day, but it wasn't bad. Most people didn't get technical interviews, but all 3 of mine were. We'll see what they thought. At the dinner (which was at Dave & Busters, an adult arcade-type place, where I went on Friday with the crazy kids from ABC.com - who were MUCH more fun), my on-campus interviewer told me: "I think you'd be great here, and I highly recommended you." Sweet. I'll find out in a week or so.

The most exciting part of the trip was getting there. Short flight up, and when I got to the airport I had to go pick up my rental car. Don't I feel important, I get a rental car! And it wasn't at the cheapo PayLess/Enterprise/Budget rental car, it was Avis. Ooh Aah. When I approached the rental agent, a really nice guy named Jose, he said I had an 'intermediate' car. Wow, intermediate! I have no idea what that means, but...AWESOME.
Jose: "Would you like to try the new Chevy HHR?"
Me: "Wow, okay, that'd be great!" Thinking, "Look at me! New car!"
Jose: "It's like a PT Cruiser, I'm sure you'll enjoy it."
Me: Thinking, "Why is he smirking?"
I soon found out. When I found my car in the parking lot, it reminded me of the bastard child of a station wagon and SUV. "Eh," I thought, "New car!" I put my luggage inside and started out for the hotel. Because of poor visibility, it felt like I was driving one of those 40s gangster getaway cars:



Once I arrived at the hotel, I parked in the garage, got out of the car and walked around to the trunk to get my suitcase out, and finally looked at the car. It was orange. I hadn't noticed it in the dark of the rental lot. Not just any orange, a deep deep orange, the color of burning.

I felt so used, so THAT'S why the guy was so nice, cause he saw a sucker! Jerk. The next morning when all of the candidates had to meet up, everybody else had nice, sensible rental cars...black, grey, blue sedans. Not me, thanks to Jose.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, on the positive side of things I'm sure you stood out from the crowd. Maybe not the way you intended to, but stood out nonetheless. Besides, nothing speaks more of self confidence than showing up in a bright orange car...or mabye that's just a hispanic thing. After all, we do paint our houses purple, and green...and yes, orange.

Anonymous said...

I love how I can totally picture you telling this story!! Bright orange... well at least they'll remember you. =)

moneybags said...

hahaha...intermediate...sounds pretty freakin sweet. except for the whole 'you being a sucker' part....you seem hell bent on learnng lessons the hard way. in any case, atleast it seems as though you have lots of job prospect,...huzzah for that...except for this last one, you can cross it off your list, thanks to good ol' jose at avis
....i cant believe that guy has the nerve to call himself "thicke"...that seems like a career ender, but i guess i might be wrong on this one. perhaps 'growing pains' carries more weight in the year 2000 than i thought

Lindsay said...

Eric, you're on crack, and I love it.